1. What did you do in 2018 that you'd never done before?
Take my kids on vacation all by myself (not to visit relatives). It was just an overnight trip.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any last year. I find goals more helpful than resolutions, although I don't remember setting goals last year either. I might make resolutions on a monthly or weekly basis this year. I don't have any at the moment.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
I didn't leave my own country.
6. What would you like to have in 2019 that you lacked in 2018?
Enough energy to tackle more of the little projects I have in my head... especially the ones for which I have supplies lying around.
7. What date from 2018 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The date my honey left on his extended business trip.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting my kids and myself through the year with mental/emotional health intact, the house in fairly good repair, and regular day to day activities continuing as normal.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Losing my temper or giving way with my kids, failing to connect appropriately.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing worse than a cold.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A pair of bright blue Soft Star Merry Jane shoes. Also, the money I spent to take my family traveling was definitely money well spent.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
After rent and utilities? I did buy a fair amount of new clothes this year. Also, extra-curricular activities for the kids, and take-out food.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
This *is* my excited face. No, I don't get "really, really, really excited;" but I did get somewhat excited about crocheting again, after not doing it for years. Also about taking the kids to the beach last summer. Oh — and having both kids in full day school.
16. What song will always remind you of 2018?
Dunno, I don't keep up.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i) happier or sadder?
At this particular hour, New Year's Eve, sadder.
ii) thinner or fatter?
A little thinner.
iii) richer or poorer?
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Talk to people, invite people to get together. Declutter.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Read Facebook, surf the web.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
My parents came to visit.
22. Did you fall in love in 2018?
No, but I remained in love.
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Voltron: Legendary Defender; The Great British Baking Show
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't hate people. I sometimes hate situations or circumstances.
26. What was the best book you read?
How To Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish
The Inquisitor's Tale by Adam Gidwitz
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Juice Box Hero by Mindy Hester & the Time Outs
28. What did you want and get?
A camping trip (thanks, love!). A new pocketknife. A living room rug. Some dresses.
29. What did you want and not get?
A games night for grown ups, or a casual dinner party.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
"Incredibles 2." I think the only others I saw this year were "Teen Titans Go to the Movies" and "The Grinch," so there you go.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
On my birthday, I took the kids to a fall festival. I did hire a babysitter the next day so I could go to a painting workshop. I'm... old enough to have two kids in full day school.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Regular chats with friends in an unstructured setting.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2018?
Colorful casual, with fewer screen print tee shirts than in college.
34. What kept you sane?
My "church ladies" group; my kid's counselor.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
And here's the word choice that gives away the British origin of the questionnaire! But, regrettably?, I can't think of anyone. I just don't take in enough media to crush on a celebrity or public figure.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
37. Who did you miss?
38. Who was the best new person you met?
There are a few women from my "church ladies" group who come to mind.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2018.
Take initiative. Ask for help. Often, a little is better than nothing. These aren't new for 2018; I've been working on this stuff for years.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"And the days go by / water flowing underground" This entry was originally posted at https://serenissima.dreamwidth.org/293352.html.